Tuesday, December 9, 2008

A first time for everything

I get one of these emailed to me pretty much every week. I usually have lots of time, and I kind of like filling them out. I've seen people post them on their blog instead, so I'll try it. Just go with me on this one...

1. Who was your FIRST prom date?
A kid named Sean. He lived in the next town, so we went to prom at his school. His dad drove us. (we were only 15ish! When your high school only has 200 kids, you invite the younger classmen too!) He is now married to one of my best friends, and they have two adorable kids. Funny how things work out!

2. What was your FIRST alcoholic drink?
Communion wine. Does that count? Otherwise, probably a stolen beer from the basement fridge. Or maybe my own special peppermint schnapps/creme de menthe mixture smuggled out of the house in an empty NyQuil bottle. Ahhh, the memories.

3.What was your FIRST job?
I assume we're not talking about babysitting. The first job I had where taxes were withheld was waitressing at the Frosty Freez. It's a local diner, serving burgers and milkshakes. It was the summer I was 17. I was terrible.

4.What was your FIRST car?
1982 Nissan Sentra. It was white, with a lovely rust accent. The seats were lambskin, and I didn't want to know what was underneath those covers! A jack knife stabbed into the steering column turned the wipers on and off. (My dad kindly fashioned something more permanent.) I was the only person alive who could get the thing into reverse. (And that includes the previous owner) I think I paid $600 for it. I drove the stuffing out of that car, with only minimal maintenance. (A new starter, new clutch and new vacuum line, all installed by the husband back when he was the boyfriend.) I drove it for four years, and sold it for $50. That was a good car.

5. Who was the FIRST person to text you today?
I'm not a big "texter", so it is unusual that anyone would text me. But I did get one from my brother today. Texting is his only form of communication. Even if he is just across the room.

6. Who was the FIRST person you thought of this morning?
My angel, after she kicked me in the kidney. (After daddy leaves for work she climbs in to cuddle and snooze for an hour or so before we have to get up for school.)

7. Who was your FIRST grade teacher?
Mrs. Connerton. Although, I think that was a couple husbands ago.

8. Where did you go on your FIRST airplane ride?
Charleston, SC for my cousin's wedding. It was my senior year of high school. I went with my mother and sister, and it takes all day to fly anywhere from Montana. We rode a 737 to Denver, a DC10 to Dulles and a CRJ to Charleston. Yes, I'm kind of a geek to remember that.

9. Who was your FIRST best friend?
Probably my friend Kelsi. We were best friends in kindergarten, and we remain best friends to this day. Thank goodness our husbands seem to get along!

10. Who was your FIRST kiss?
A guy named Josh. He was my eighth grade boyfriend. I bumped into him again when his wife and I were in the same childbirth preparation class.

11. Who was the FIRST person you talked to this morning?
My angel. "If you don't get out of bed right now you will be late for school...again."

12. What was the FIRST thing you did this morning?
Went pee.

13. What was the FIRST concert you went to?
In college I drove with some friends about 200 miles to see Bush, Goo Goo Dolls and No Doubt. Yeah, it was awesome!

14. What was your FIRST tattoo or piercing?
I got my ears pierced when I was 12. Just once each. (They did them at the same time, or else I might just have one done!) At 19 I pierced my belly button, to prove I was cool, apparently. The scar from that on a pregnant belly created two cute little stretch marks. Now my navel looks a little like a psycho-bunny. My skin however has that classic, ink-free look that never goes out of style.

15. What was the FIRST foreign country you visited?
When we lived up by Glacier National Park, I think my parents took me to Canada. I don't really know about that.

16. What was the FIRST movie you saw in a theater?
I think I saw Bambi at the drive-in, but the first movie I went to without a parent was Labyrinth. David Bowie still freaks me out a little.

17. When was your FIRST detention?
I don't think I ever had traditional "detention" for misbehaving. I did have to do some hard time after school for not finishing my homework. I think I started that in second grade.

18. What was the FIRST state you lived in?
I was born in Minnesota.

19. Who was the FIRST person to really break your heart?
See #1. (But not at 15! Later, when we were in college.)

20. With whom was your FIRST date?
A kid named Tim. I was in seventh grade and I met him at the movie theater. We saw The Little Mermaid. I think we even held hands. (Whoo hoo!)

21. What was your FIRST pet?
My family had a dog named Bess. I thought she was a sheep. By MY first pets were two fish named Tatsy and Logid. No, those are not typos.

22. Who was your FIRST roommate?
No counting my little sister, or the beeyatch I lived with in the dorm at college, my first roommate situation was with my friend Amy and three other girls. Yes, that's five of us in a three bedroom house...with one bathroom.

23. Who was your FIRST love?
My first real love was probably Jason, my senior year boyfriend. He was the first boy to ever tell me I was crazy. (The husband has since seconded this motion.) He was the guy who convinced me that I could be myself and someone would still want me. Every teenage girl should have that.

24. What was your FIRST screen name.
Not sure what they mean by screen name. I would have chosen "hotsytotsy", but I think that one's taken.

25. When did you have your FIRST baby?
I had my angel in 2001. I was 25. The husband and I were living with my parents at the time, waiting for our house to be ready. My brother was living there too, so there were five adults and one baby under one roof. I swear that girl never got put down until she started walking!

2 comments:

Holly said...

You seriously need to leave that town!! Almost all of your answers sounds like we lived in some podunk town...oh wait. Good times, I'm copying you and posting on my blog!!

Anonymous said...

This is priceless...so many memories. Very funny and don't worry about PoDunk. There is nothing wrong with PoDunk. I currently live in Hickville and it's just fine too.