Monday, January 11, 2010

In defence of my SUV

For those who may not know me in "real" life, let me assure you that I am interested in the conservation of our natural resources. I use re-usable shopping bags, I try to recycle the things I can, and I am cloth diapering my infant son. In my ultra-conservative, rural town I'm actually known as a bit of a hippy. (Mostly because I don't like guns and I voted for Hilary.) But I do have a confession to make...I drive an SUV.

Everybody knows that they use more gas. I know this. My wallet in particular is aware of this. But the fact remains that I need it. Here's why:

  • The seating. I have three full time kids and one "every once in awhile" kid, and a cute little sedan just isn't going to be enough. They claim it seats 5, but sitting next to a carseat is like sitting next to a fat lady on an airplane. Only not as squishy. My current vehicle has that fabulous little third row seat that folds down for hauling groceries and folds up for hauling kids around. (And every sane mother knows that you don't do both at the same time if you can help it!)
  • The four-wheel-drive. I live in a northern climate. With snow and mud. I understand that some people drive SUV's as a status symbol. A lot of Gen X-ers like myself are (were?) driving SUVs because they thought they were somehow "cooler" than the minivans our mother's drove. But I live in the land of un-plowed gravel roads. I use my four wheel drive just to get my kids to school.
  • It's paid for. I think that one speaks for itself.

The husband is really excited about buying me a scooter one of these days. (In fact, I think he really wants to ride one, but he thinks it will be an easier look to pull off if he's just playing around with "his wife's" toy.) They look really cute and European, and I would look really hot on one! (But I don't think there's room for the baby!) I'll continue to do my part to help conserve resources, but don't give me a hard time about my ride! They do serve a purpose for some of us. At least until I have the money to replace it with a hybrid or something else. Like a horse and buggy possibly...

No comments: