Monday, August 25, 2008

Hurray for school!!!


Shhhhh...hear that? I know, me neither! Isn't it wonderful! At long last, the first day of school has arrived. That means 6 1/2 hours to run errands, fold laundry and catch up on many other tasks that my angel seems to hinder more than help.
Not that I don't miss her dearly. It's all the "other" kids that make these few hours off so refreshing. See, my darling daughter has already joined a biker gang. We have five little girls between the ages of 5 and 8 within a five house radius, and they all have a bike. That in and of itself is bad enough, but we also have a couple nests of teenagers in our neighborhood, which means more teenagers visit them, which means an influx of teenage drivers zipping to and fro. The combination of inexperienced drivers (who are distracted by the other eleven people in the car) and little girls on bicycles (some of whom have not fully mastered the art of "braking" yet) is enough to strike fear into the hearts of most of the adults on our street.
Call me over-protective, but I have no fear of being the neighborhood b####, and I'll stand on my porch and yell at kids to watch out for cars, whether they are mine or not.
But not today. Today there were no little cyclists in the street. Today no one was knocking on my door every half hour looking for my angel. (The reason they knock is because the husband disconnected our doorbell after the second day.) Today they were all blissfully ensconced in the halls of academia, learning important things, like who has a Hannah Montana shirt and who got a Strawberry Shortcake backpack. (Ideally there is also reading and math going on, it's just not the part of the day my angel remembers best.)
So, happy first day of school! (even if yours is still to come.)

1 comment:

Vehicle Tracking System said...

Nice Post!
I am glad to found your post in which you offered interesting information. It is really good read to me.

Thanks for sharing!
Vehicle Tracking System In India