Friday, October 16, 2009

Ode to Coffee

Oh, sweet coffee. Without you, I might never make it through the day. And while some people consider you a drug, I think of you as the breakfast of champions.

I recently had a discussion about the generation gap when it comes to coffee. My baby-boomer parents and their friends drink coffee, as in a mug of coffee from the coffeemaker on the counter. Usually they have it "black", but occasionally you will see people who drink theirs with cream or sugar. (or both!) Simple.

For myself, and the rest of my Gen X friends, we came of coffee-drinking age during the Starbucks/Grunge rock movement. When I say I'm "getting a coffee", what I mean is I'll have a 20 oz. vanilla double latte, heavy on the foam and only heated to 150. Intentionally complicated. (And my typical order is actually quite simple in the land of baristas) We want to carry huge coffees in paper cups, even though they are more than half milk.

But, for the next generation of coffee drinkers, sales may dwindle. It seems to me that most teenagers/young adults these days would rather have a RedBull than a latte. (Or heaven forbid a cup of actual coffee!)

Money being a little tight, and the fact that I no longer hang out on campus next to the coffee cart, I've taken to making my coffee at home. A few Christmases ago I received an espresso machine. It only makes 4oz of espresso at a time, but that is just enough to get me through a morning. The trouble has always been that heavenly syrup they add at the coffee bar. They do sell it in stores, and have purchased it before, but my local grocery doesn't carry it so I have had to improvise:

Autumn's Vanilla Coffee Syrup
* 1 1/2 cups water
* 1 1/2 cups sugar
* 1-2 tsp vanilla extract

In a microwave-safe measuring pitcher, heat the 1 1/2 cups water for 3-4 minutes in microwave, or until boiling. Pour in sugar and stir gently until sugar is completely dissolved. (Syrup should be clear) Allow to cool, approx. half hour or until just warm to the touch. Add the vanilla, stir to mix. (I use real vanilla extract, so my syrup is a light brown color, but if you use imitation vanilla it will remain clear) Store in a container with a tightly sealing lid. (I use an empty 12 oz. water bottle, label removed and marked with a Sharpie so everyone knows what it is.) You can make larger batches, but I find that making in smaller batches keeps the syrup tasting "fresh". You can keep it on the counter or in the fridge. You can also use flavors other than vanilla. I have used candy flavoring, especially easy to find in stores around the holidays. (Just be sure to use a few drops, not a tsp!)

Enjoy your coffee, everyone. I must leave you now...I need a refill!

3 comments:

WishingKristen said...

Wait...are you talking about our parents? Are you sure they were drinking it black? I'm pretty sure at times there was more than just coffee, milk, or sugar in those mugs :)

autumndaesy said...

Oh, Kris...by "black" I meant "half Kahlua". ;)

Holly said...

Bailey's is another good substitution for cream, but you should only use it on the weekends or your co-workers might think you have a problem. Thanks for the recipe Autumn! The Husband always uses half the creamer in each cup so hopefully this will cut down on those costs!