Monday, February 25, 2008

Cool for School

As many of you know, I am a 31 year old college senior. Yes, my misspent youth was a blur of parties and boyfriends. And then I turned 21. I went to college after graduating high school, majoring in beer and boys. (Or as my mother so eloquently put it, I was there for my M.R.S. degree, which I still don't understand but apparently it was something the women of her generation did.) Needless to say, that sort of "schooling" didn't really pan out. Before long I was living at home and waitressing at the local diner. That's where I met my adorable husband. (A story for another post.) I thought I was looking for someone to take care of me; to pay the bills and go to work while I kept the house and took care of Wally and Beaver. I could make a pot roast and clean the house top to bottom, too, if I had all day! (Please note that these were the thoughts of a single, naive girl. After having a baby of my own, I now realize that just taking a shower indicates a productive day! Anything else is gravy.) Eventually I realized that wasn't what I wanted. I wanted to have the ability to take care of myself, and if I chose to be a full-time wife and mother, well, that was my choice! Not the only thing available to me. That was when I decided to go back to college. (The husband was very supportive of this, since he works "blue-collar" and is hoping that I will somehow find a way to make enough money that he doesn't have to work that hard anymore. Here's hopin'!)

The great thing about returning to college as a "non-traditional student", is that I was eligible for a bunch of financial aide and a ton of programs to help me succeed. (BTW, perhaps the "programs for success" should be more thoroughly promoted to the 18 year old college students before they drop out. Just my two cents.) The money was helpful, as there was no way our income could pay for tuition and books, not to mention daycare (my angel was 18 months old at the time) and commuting expenses, which were not to be underestimated as I was driving about 200 miles a day to go to school! But my financial aide was able to cover all of that. (The husband still carried all the regular, household bills)

Another great thing about "returning for learning" is that I was so much more focused. What? you ask, How could you possibly be more focused with a husband and a toddler to deal with? The answer is very simple. I was an adult. Adults are able to prioritize and organize and take the initiative to get things done. And my 18-19 year old self was not an adult. (Age does not indicate adulthood. The husband was an adult at around age 16, and I have some pseudo-family members that are in their mid to late 20's and still haven't made it yet.) This is why I believe in a minimum age for college. 21. I know, you all are thinking, what will we do with those kids after they leave high school? We should set them up with low-paying jobs. Let them work construction or factory lines or wait tables. I honestly think a realistic "peek" at working for a living will help with their studies when they finally make it to college. And, yes, if your daddy has enough money, you can just parade around in your bikini and go to parties and rehab and other trendy places, but the rest of us might get a glimpse at what life if like if we don't get a degree. I speak from personal experience...it will scare the s@@@ out of most kids. This could make the transition to college so much more rewarding!

No comments: