Monday, January 28, 2008

Winter Driving Hazards

I love to drive. I like to call it my "windshield time", where I have nothing to do but stare out my windshield and think, or occasionally practice my karaoke. I told some friends that my commute is an hour and twenty minutes one way. That isn't completely unreasonable, but then I told them that my commute is 90 miles one way. That is a little more unusual. And expensive. (For those of you doing the mental math, in Montana you can drive 90 miles in an hour twenty by driving the speed limit...and maybe just a "pinch" more.) Ordinarily, this drive relaxes me and gives me some precious alone time. Lately, however, the road conditions have made the commute a little more nerve racking. But it's not the snow and ice that bother me. Any fool can deal with that. It's all the other winter road hazards that are the problem. Maybe you've heard of them:
The "Driving Too Fast For the Conditions" Guy: You know the one. Everyone has slowed down due to the black ice/snow pack and one guy thinks he's going to break ranks and move to the front of the pack. Everyone else in line puckers up until he either backs down and gets back in line, or spins off into the ditch. Either way, hopefully he finally figured out why everyone else was driving so slow!
The "Driving Too Slow For Conditions" Guy: You come over a hill, traveling well on the mostly bare/patchy snow interstate when you encounter someone driving 25 mph. Here's a tip: If the roads are so bad that you have drive that slow on the interstate, maybe you should just stay home.
The "Over-Reactor": They encounter a little ice and immediately slam on the breaks. If that doesn't send them into a skid, then they try a little over-correction. If this hasn't finally sent them into the ditch, well, there's always next time. (By the way, I don't care how strong your faith is, "Jesus take the wheel" is a figure of speech!)
In addition to all the "hazards" mentioned above, winter driving also produces several phenomenon that still cannot be explained.
The "Difference in Vision": Why is it that in blowing snow or foggy conditions, everyone leans forward, as if the reason you couldn't see was because you were too far away from the windshield, and those extra four inches you gained will make all the difference? Also, why do semi's seem to have a clearer view of the road than I do in my car? Is the visibility really that much better up there? It must be, because when I can't see, I seem to get passed by semi's like I'm standing still. (Which has the added bonus of obliterating my vision completely, forcing my to drive by Braille using the rumble strip on the side of the road. Good times...)
The "Coffee Shop" Paradox: After a particularily bad snow, everyone in town has to go down to the coffee shop, if for no other reason than to complain about how bad the roads are.

No comments: